58d 15h 30m Mercury/Length of day
Mercury is the only metal that is a liquid at standard temperature and pressure. The only other liquid element under standard conditions is bromine (a halogen), although the metals rubidium, cesium, and gallium melt at a temperature just above room temperature. Mercury is a very rare element in the Earth's crust.Nov 17, 2020
However, the surface is not hospitable to humans or most known life forms due to the radiation, greatly reduced air pressure, and an atmosphere with only 0.16% oxygen. Human survival on Mars would require living in artificial Mars habitats with complex life-support systems.
The planet Mercury looks a little bit like Earth's moon. Like our Moon, Mercury's surface is covered with craters caused by space rock impacts. Mercury is the closest planet to the sun and the eighth largest. Mercury has a thin atmosphere of atoms blasted off its surface by solar radiation.Mar 1, 2012
Mercury is the closest planet to the Sun at a distance of 57 million kilometers / 35 million miles. Out of all the terrestrial planets, Mercury is the smallest. It is also the smallest planet in the Solar System. Despite being so small, Mercury is the second-densest planet in the Solar System after Earth.
Although many liquids could be used in pressure measuring devices, mercury is used because its high density requires less space. It is also a good conductor of electricity, so it is a useful component of electrical switches. Mercury is also used in dental fillings, paints, soaps, batteries, and fluorescent lighting.
Scientists do not believe there has ever been life on Mercury. The atmosphere on Mercury is almost non-existant. Mercury is inhospitable and sterile. In order for life (as we know it) to exist, Mercury would need to have temperatures that allow liquid water to remain on its surface for long periods of time.Dec 9, 2008
Mercury is a very toxic or poisonous substance that people can be exposed to in several ways. If it is swallowed, like from a broken thermometer, it mostly passes through your body and very little is absorbed. If you touch it, a small amount may pass through your skin, but not usually enough to harm you.