When installing the oil filter, you should slowly screw it in with your hand. Make sure the filter turns in cleanly to avoid damaging the filter. When the filter has been completely screwed in, give it one quarter turn. This allows the filter to fit securely without being too tight.
- Editor's Pick: Bosch Premium Oil Filter. Bosch is one of the leading parts manufacturers in the automotive industry and the company's oil filters come highly recommended.
- FRAM Extra Guard Oil Filter.
- Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filter.
- ACDelco Professional Engine Oil Filter.
- PurolatorONE Oil Filter.
How to Find an Oil Filter by Sizing
- Remove the oil filter and drain the oil into a catch pan. Use a ruler to measure the diameter of the screw hole on the old filter.
- Measure the diameter of the filter. This will include the sealing area of the filter.
- Measure the height of the filter.
If you have an SUV, pickup truck, or other big vehicles, a strap wrench is useful because the oil filters tend to be larger (up to 6 inches in diameter). You'll need a 1/2-inch square drive tool to turn the bar that tightens the strap that firmly holds the filter.Apr 29, 2021
Removal of an oil filter without a specialized tool is one such task. This includes building your own tools, and as a last resort piercing with a screwdriver. You can pick between using a bandana and a socket wrench, or a belt, depending on your preference.Jan 26, 2021